20 December 2009

Do the Evolution, Baby!


In the late 90's, alternative rock band Pearl Jam unleashed a thumping tune entitled "Do the Evolution". Quick paced with racing guitar work and vocals that have the passion and edginess only Eddie Vedder can evacuate onto the listening audience, it's a song that is great fun to jack up the volume to. A little strange though is the fact that the lyrics are rather dark, disturbed, and cynical which seems to be in complete contradiction to the music. So lets just concentrate on the title for todays post.

I've always been a person with a reasonably open mind. A curious mind certainly. But a recent event has convinced me that I had made a mistake which has thankfully been corrected.

So what was the mistake Dan? I'm glad you asked (curiosity show flashback there). It is this, that you can study something for as long as you like, you can think about it, speak to people about it, read about it, watch movies about it. But it is necessary to actually INVOLVE yourself directly in it to really start to understand it properly. Theory is great, but it only forms a foundation. The practical experience is essential.

As an example, around ten years ago I decided I wanted to learn to fly an aeroplane. As this is a costly activity I knew it wouldn't be a long term pastime but I went ahead with it anyway. I studied the theory quite intensely, discussed things extensively with the instructor and felt confident that I could achieve the goal. When learning to fly, the first hands-on experience is doing what are called "circuits" essentially taking off, flying back around the runway, landing, and then taking off again without stopping. It teaches most of the basic essentials. I was mortified to find that even with all my preparation I was crap at it. I fumbled the controls, I would land too hard or float down the runway, I would forget procedures. I couldn't understand it, even though my instructor assured me that I wasn't doing anything he hadn't seen other newbies do. Frustrated, I hit the books and theory harder but I couldn't see anything I'd missed. I returned the following week and had another go. The first few attempts were again rubbish, but then something clicked and I did a reasonably good circuit. And then another. Suddenly, the pieces fell into place and I was roaring around beautifully, and touching down smooth as silk. I can't explain exactly what it was that finally got me to understand how to do it, but what I do know is that even though the theory gave me an idea how to do it, it was the actual practice that tidied everything up.

I call that an evolution. and just like the occasional revolution, it's a good thing. But as the song title suggests, to evolve one must "do" and not just think about it. The phrase "Success is 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration" I believe quoted by Thomas Edison has never felt so true.

6 comments:

  1. oh I wish you hadn't used the words "evacuate" and "Eddie Veder" in one sentence. Now I'm seeing him sitting on a toilet.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, he does strain a bit during some of his vocals. But Eddie sitting on the toilet is so not rock 'n' roll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not as rock n roll as Elvis, poor darling. Or Jim Morrison - or was that the bath?

    As for evolving through experience, I can't recommend it highly enough. Mainly due to outdoorsy instructors in exotic locations encouraging you to get your expensive hiking pants caught on exotic cactus (the 'wait a while' in the Daintree) and another telling me to 'get to know the land through my feet' - a hiking enthusiast. A highly, broadly applicable motto, wouldn't you say?

    Confidence is a magical ingredient and the trick is not to concentrate on it too hard, just enough to self-convince.

    So when are we going to hijack the concord and dash over to Paris? Zoooooooooooom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeedy, experience is the real deal for sure.

    Very little nudging is required for a trip to Paris. Is one allowed to eat pastries while in the Louvre?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most certainly not!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou nursemyra, to make such an appalling faux pas would have been disastrous.

    ReplyDelete