15 February 2009

Deaf to the Tolling Bell

It seems as I roll merrily forward with this blog and make public all of the things that make up me, there is one topic that needs to be covered. The issue of religion.

I've never been a great fan of carrying a label that identifies me as part of a certain group. I hate being called a Gen Y or Gen X or I-Gen or any of the other stupid titles some social researcher at a university somewhere keeps coming up with to justify their grant. And it is with religion that again I exercise this aversion to being "classified".

The thing is, I follow no religion and I don't believe in God. But only call me an atheist if you desire me to dislike you.

I have spent considerable time looking at the different religions of the world, from the East to the West, and none of them have ever been able to present themselves as credible. I am the sort of person that never takes anything on appearance or promotion. I am a salesmans worse nightmare because I never listen to their "patter" I am only interested in the facts. I believe everything you take seriously as part of your life needs to be scrutinised and properly understood before accepting it. This is where all religions fall down, they NEVER stand up to scrutiny and ALWAYS surround themselves by a ridiculous mystical smokescreen that doesn't allow intensive analysis. A person with a mind as cynical as mine can guess the reasons for this.

However, I do believe that many people find religion an essential ingredient in their lives. It is important that people are allowed to follow any lifestyle and religion they choose (as long as it affects only them). I will never impose my belief's on others, and I expect them to do the same in return.

Todays shout out goes to jokes about religion. If there was a God, I bet she/he/it would be VERY amused. If she/he/it is not, then she/he/it should get over it.

Todays shout down goes to the leaders of the Catholic Church. A greater load of untrustworthy, elitist, ghastly people would be very difficult to find.

"The Bible, my way!", by Dan the VespaMan.

I'll never be a Saint,
But that's OK,
I'll just be me,
Day by day.

I don't believe in God,
Or heaven or hell,
What matters is dignity in life,
THAT is my tolling bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment