08 February 2009

Where I lay my hat

I am not a native Sydney-sider. I moved here a few years ago from my birthplace of Adelaide in South Australia. The thing is it's quite funny just how quickly one integrates into new surroundings, given the chance that is.

Just like people who have lived here their entire lives, I find myself indulging in tedious conversations about house prices, traffic, and the abysmal state government. I should be rather ashamed really as this is one of the most beautiful and enjoyable large cities I have ever trod foot in. The picture above was taken last weekend in Circular Quay and shows only a snippet of Sydney. As for the people, I find that most of them seem to live with slightly too much stress in their lives (those damn house prices and traffic problems ofcourse) but this seems to be due to a genuine pursuit of a good life. It is amazing how these people always seem to have a focus on their next enjoyable experience be it a holiday, a night on the town, a concert or a day at the beach. These are healthy attitudes to have.

Todays shout out goes to the Sydney-siders. Keep it up, your positive attitude rubs off on the city.

Todays shout down goes to people who use self service checkouts at supermarkets when they have a full trolley load of groceries. Just a hint, it will be quicker for you if you use one of the conventional aisles.

"Syd and me", by Dan the VespaMan.

I wasn't born here,
I came from over the border,
I arrived as a stranger,
and now I am part of the Sydney order.

Will I live here for the rest of my life,
God only knows,
But one thing I know for sure,
When I see Sydney, it glows.

No comments:

Post a Comment