08 March 2009

The Happy Wanderer


One of the things that interest me about the world is the industry of transport. Even in the electronic age with video conferencing and plentiful internet access, we still need to move ourselves outside our homes and travel. So too do the myriad of products that we consume every day.

I have included a snapshot I took today of an intersection on George Street in Sydney showing four very important methods of transportation. Walking, personal vehicle, bus and monorail (this last one may be not quite as useful in this city, and may be more for the tourists). There's no doubt that in a city the size and population of Sydney, transport is a critical issue. It is difficult to provide the perfect solution, however there are also some great opportunities.

The thing is, the personal motor vehicle is a ridiculous form of transport in these congested streets. I can certainly understand why people choose this option, being convenient for the commencement of one's journey, comfortable, and ofcourse private. Todays motor vehicles in essence have become an extension of people's living rooms. However, it is not efficient and frequently is not quick. I can assure you the train ride into the city from my suburb is completed in less time than if I were to drive a car on the journey.

My favourite forms of transport are firstly walking (convenient, all terrain, cheap, environmentally friendly, enjoyable), train/tram (relatively cheap, comfortable, fast once the train arrives), bicycle (convenient, cheap, environmentally friendly, enjoyable), and aeroplane (the only way to go for long distance travel).

But hang on Dan, you've forgotten something. What about the Vespa ?? Ah yes, this represents my daily commute to work. It is great fun to ride, somewhat inexpensive, and convenient. The problem is I have to ride it on the roads..... near those vile cars !

Todays shout out goes to investment in transport infrastructure. Where would be without it ? (not far would be my guess).

Todays shout down goes to traffic jams. You have options other than driving a car, use them !

"Happy Trails", by Dan the VespaMan.

We all need to move,
We all need to groove,
We all need to see,
Different places with glee.

I like to make tracks,
Travel to the max,
The world is your tutor,
And you can be a thinking commuter.

No comments:

Post a Comment