22 March 2009

A War on Progress

I have been rather slack, missing a post due for last weekend. The reason was that I attended the Avalon Airshow near Melbourne and so wasn't near a 'puter to make the post. Yes I could have done it any time during the week, but as I said I have been slack.

I've always had a bit of a moral dilemma attending these airshows that exhibit some rather terrifying military hardware. The thing is, I am HUGELY impressed with the engineering feat that has been accomplished with some of this hardware. The incredible speed, noise, and power that these machines have has me in awe. BUT, lets not forget that these are weapons designed to kill and destroy, and as I find war to be an example of the worst kind of human nature, you can see my problem.

The main point I want to make in today's blog though is regarding technological advancement as a result of war. The thing is if you look around the modern world, most of the technology we enjoy today is as a result of military endeavours:

- The Jet Engine - developed during World War II to power military aircraft, now used on almost all commercial aircraft that take us on our holidays.
- Global Positioning System - developed by the US military to provide navigation for their troops and equipment. Now used by many people to navigate their cars.
- The Internet - at least partly developed to provide digital communications between US military departments.
- Satellite communications - only possible because the Americans and Soviets conducted a race for control of space as part of cold war activities.
- Radar - developed around World War II to detect hostile aerial forces, now essential to control busy air traffic.

And the list goes on.

We always say quite rightly that we never want the horror of war, and I add my voice to that. But where would we be without it ?

Todays shout out goes to modern science. Useful, truthful, proven and the key to the resolution of the problems that plague the human race.

Todays shout down goes to aviation enthusiasts who think they know what they're talking about but have never sat behind the controls of an aircraft in flight. Keep to trainspotting for cripes sake.

"The Truthful Faith", by Dan the VespaMan.

To continually push the boundaries
that we know are never there,
We seek the answers and solutions
of questions if we dare.

The advantage of science over religion
is that religion lacks evidence,
But science is accountable
It has a truthful eminence.

3 comments:

  1. (Keep in mind that what I'm about to type is meant to evoke conversation and not insult)

    I don't think there's many people that would say they "like" war for its evil face. However, to suggest this modern world is capable of existing without war is utterly idealist, wouldn't you say? Of course, I know you've got to have idealists to counter the balance, but I like my personal sights to be more tempered with healthy realism. I'm fairly certain this planet will never see complete peace in that respect. And if it did, what kind of world would that be, really? One without much difference? Passion? I don't know if I'd want it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristine,

    Yes it's an unfortunate truth that we can't seem to progress without the odd skirmish. I guess the old saying "in order to have peace we must prepare for war" may not be popular, but it is a reality we should be accepting.

    I'm not sure what sort of a world we would have if military conflicts never happened, as we never seem to get the chance to find out. I guess what I was suggesting in my post was that much of the technology we have today was developed with military applications in mind. The world could indeed be a much less interesting place if the motivation to progress is not there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I hear you. Very valid point. I took it in another direction, really.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete