22 February 2010

What's Dan Watching - Antichrist


It's pretty clear that I have been in a movie mood as of late. Perhaps the vile humidity of a Sin City February has brought this on, a time when the coolness of my cheap leather couch, the a/c cranked, a chilled ice-cubed drink and a bloody big telly are worthy of my time and attention. Or perhaps I have an affinity with couch-potatoism. Meh, who know's, but one thing for sure is that if you wish to ruin the pleasant atmos then spend 109 minutes watching a film that gently intrigues the viewer before making every effort to have them running screaming from the room in revulsion. Either that or watch the movie "Antichrist", which achieves exactly the same result.

First of all to be fair, there are some really amazing black and white slow motion sequences in this film, including one or two that are so damn close to high class erotica that I found myself exclaming the occasional "blimey!" in appreciation. Yes indeed the cinematography was quite something.

So let's get onto the disturbing bit. A slight bit of plot spoiling here. Basically, a married couple are in the shower having crazy monkey sex when their young child is killed when he accidentally falls out of an open window. Guilt and depression descend predominantly upon the wife and her husband who is a therapist tries to fix her up. It doesn't work and he decides (rather foolishly I might add) to dash them off to a secluded cabin to try a few other techniques. It doesn't work and something dreadful happens to his testicles. There's actually a lot of other things that happen but quite frankly, all I can really think about are testicles after my viewing of the film. If this sounds weird, see the film and you will know what I mean.

And now, I want to put all this out of my mind.

4 comments:

  1. Mmm the trailer looked intriguing enough for me to not want to see it. Living on my own as I do at the edge of a deserted paddock I'll be avoiding the horror genre until 2011.

    If those organs are all you can really think about after such a film, perhaps a change in programming would be wise. Unless you like thinking about such organs, in which case you would not find yourself alone, but amongst friends, and friends of Dorothy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The film involves disturbing events in a secluded cabin. With your abode somewhat secluded due to that paddock, the link may be too strong for an eager imagination. Don't see it, or else you will be sending me messages such as, "2AM and third night in a row without sleep. Why can't you just keep your movie opinions to yourself Dan!!??!!"

    I shall make a change to my programming. Something a little less testicular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound like a disturbing film. However, your testicular focus is providing an opportunity for me to laugh at 6:32 a.m. as I get ready for work. Thank you! "Couch-potatoism" is a good phrase. I get into movie obsessions every now and then as a form of escapism. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always a pleasure to provide material to fuel chuckling behaviour Gropius.

    "Couch-potatoism" can also be spelt "Couch-potataoism" as it is indeed an offshoot of the philosophy and religions of Taoism. Many disciplines are required, including sitting cross legged and slouched on the couch, a slack jawed meditation focused on the television screen, and martial arts skills where the remote needs to be used skillfully to change channels without looking at the buttons.

    ReplyDelete