05 January 2010

We Will Fight Them on the Couch


Oh dear, it's not often that I'm awake and/or of clear thought at 1:30AM on a Tuesday morning. Something must be wrong, and indeed it is.

I was wondering why in the last few days I've been feeling a bit down, off my feed, a bit of a grumpy bum. And then yesterday (Monday) I felt a strange and uncomfortable sensation in the back of my throat that no amount of ahem's seemed to shift. A curious soul as always, a torch and the bathroom mirror has revealed what I suspected, the telltale signs that the dreaded tonsilitis plague has come to town. It seems to visit very infrequently (probably 10 years since the last) but it's like a child-hood friend that you don't really like but seems to always visit at the wrong moment.

So, being a man of action, first thing is to call in my apologies to work tommorrow morning as sick leave is for just such occasions, present myself across the road to my local GP for a professional opinion on cause/remedy, and then purchase a small pot of red paint for the purpose of putting a large red cross on my front door.

I have been described during periods of illness, as being a rotten sod. I can accept that, in fact I would agree to it. I feel it's a persons right to be unjolly during these trying circumstances. Unsociable too, indeed very unsociable.

Very well, you vile microorganisms, you've picked the wrong chap to mess with. Oh yes, you may number in the millions perhaps billions and I number but one, but prepare for the first big battle of the second decade of the 21st century. At the risk of sounding crude, your arses (if they have arses?) are mine.

8 comments:

  1. One fears the microorganisms are getting a frisson of unanticipated excitement, even pleasure, at the sternness of your tone appropos their arses. I would be foot shuffling and cowering innocently were I them and peeping out from behind the fast-gathering red blood cells. Have various leftover pharmaceudicals from my own bout I'm happy to share, though I daresay a pot of chicken soup would work just as many wonders. Did the GP direct you next door to the Pho shop? Hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can assure you Mitzi that my intentions for them (and their arses) is masochistic to the extreme. You would not wish to be them in a million years.

    Many thanks for the offer of pharmaceuticals, however my doctor although Indian by birth has a rather un-Ghandi-like attitude to these things and has me indulging in drastic biological warfare against the invaders courtesy of four doses a day of Phenoxymethyl Penicillin. As you can see, we are beyond diplomatic relations with these invaders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I loathe the tonsillitis. Especially as I get it severely every year or so but never often enough to have my revoltingly scarred tonsils removed. Stupid doctors with their stupid rules. In fact, stupid doctors. Penicillin bites - it tastes foul and you have to be on it forever.

    My trick for tonsil and throat relief is Sara Lee's Ultra Chocolate ice-cream. It has just the right consistency to soothe a cranky throat. Also, gargling Aspro is helpful.

    Much sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Nails.. it is proving to be not much fun. The sore throat is one thing but am feeling rather unwell generally as part of the bargain. Perhaps this will just be my one "sicky" period for 2010 and the rest of the year will be smooth sailing. I am undesirable to be around just at the moment for sure.

    Ice-cream seems to be a very sensible suggestion. I have a tub in the freezer so may try your cure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I'm a veteran. I know all the cures. I also know that Augmentin Duo would have kicked your bug's arse way faster than penicillin. Still, doctors know best...

    Heading to Mitzi's shindig?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The doctor had all sorts of impressive letters after his name. It's hard to second guess him...I guess.

    Am planning to attend the Mitzi shindig, hence the desire for a quick cure. I have a day trip to Auckland to do for work on Friday so will be a looong day for sure and only fly back in that evening. How about yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think they sometimes make those letters up. Always second guess doctors - they have god complexes but are by no means infallible. In fact, sometimes they're just flat out fucking stupid and inept.

    The day trip to Auckland boggles my mind. It sounds very tiring. Still, that's like two opportunities to nap for a couple of hours, right?
    I shall head down after work. Assuming that I don't forget or get on the wrong train or do anything really dimwitted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was tiring. Slept like a log last night!

    ReplyDelete