28 April 2010

The Constant Study of the Self


It's always a pleasing situation to learn something about yourself, to understand who you are, what your talents are, and yes even your faults too. It let's you comprehend your place in the world and you can work out what you want, what you really want.

Having spent the last few months dividing my work time between my normal duties and a project, I have further confirmed some things about myself:

The Good Things
- I'm a quick learner with new tools if I'm allowed to play with them.
- I'm excellent at helping people with their problems when they ask for help.
- Once I understand a problem I'm excellent at providing a solution of some sort.
- I'm awesome with time management.
- I'm terrific at getting a system to do what I want it to do, even if it wasn't designed that way.

The Bad Things
- I'm dreadful at learning anything by being taught with theory.
- I ignore people who need help but don't ask for it. They kind of irritate me.
- I hate committee's and the monotonous negotiation process. All I need is a decision of some sort.
- I can't tolerate people who think their problems deserve priority treatment when they do not.
- I have no interest in the reason for a failing system. I just want it fixed by whomever is responsible for fixing it.

It's been said before, a man's got to know his limitations. True yes, and equally important is to push those limitations out a bit further bit by bit. I don't think I'll ever eliminate my "bad things" list and it's by no means comprehensive, but knowing them means I can work with them and maybe even use them positively.

Of the many men who toils and strives,
Reflect on them their cheats and lies,
They bring their shield to life's endless war,
The truth can be brutal, but wonderfully raw.

4 comments:

  1. And what are we, but toilers and strivers? It is certainly useful to acknowledge one's own limitations in order to minimise their impact (if negative) on others. At least your limitation is not dispersing fascistic tyranny over quaking minions - that would be evil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed not Mitzi, I would make a feeble tyrant. The acknowledgement of one's limitations not only minimises the impact on others, but also on oneself. Pretty important stuff methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of those things you classify as faults --the "bad things"--may actually be advantages. Who has patience for committees? They're usually incredibly time-wasting efforts at group projects. I have to work in them a lot and rarely find an effective one. Ah...something to strive for. Always good to remain self-reflective. I enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps the faults I mentioned are just things I need to get better at handling Gropius. I can't see them going away and I can't think of ways to avoid them.

    ReplyDelete