25 January 2009

Monet Today

I finally found my way to the Art Gallery of NSW to see the exhibition "Monet and the Impressionists". Now, let me say from the very start that I have limited knowledge of fine art, and some of the descriptions and explanations provided in the exhibition for the different artistic phases of Claude's life were obviously written by someone who knew a great deal about fine art for people who know a great deal about fine art. Pointless ! However, I congratulate the gallery for providing people with the opportunity to see some very beautiful pieces of art for a mere $18. As I understand it, the exhibition has been a great success and I hope we will see many more such presentations. If you are in Sydney on Australia Day, do yourself a favour and spend some time seeing the impressionists and the many other pieces of art in this impressive building. Claude heads back to Boston after tommorrow !

This may be a show of my naivety, but a recent news report advised that the Victorian government had put restrictions on the use of solarium tanning beds, mainly to do with underage use. The thing that confuses me is why there is a market for solariums at
all ??? There seems to be hours of sunlight each day that will do the job.... for free !

Todays shout out goes to Claude Monet. I don't know much about your technique, ideology or inspiration, but I do find your work beautiful.

Todays shout down goes to people who take very young children to art exhibitions and can't understand why they get so bored and start acting up. I hope you feel embarrassed.

"A Philistine at the Gallery", by Dan the VespaMan.

The blues, the greens,
The reds, the pinks,
I saw them today,
It was beautiful, I think.

But to speak in high,
and pompous tones,
To describe the works,
Gives me the groans.

Thanks Claude.

No comments:

Post a Comment