26 January 2009

Successful Solitude

For not the the first time I have been thinking about the way I lead my life, and what it is that makes up "me". I guess that most people do a little soul searching every now and then, and I feel that it is important to make sure that you are living your life the way you want to.

As my profile indicates, I have a reclusive streak in me that has existed for quite a while. I don't much like the term, but the word "loner" is probably the one that best describes me. The thing is, I enjoy solitary pursuits in life. I've sometimes wondered if it is some sort of extreme selfishness that is the cause of this, and the conclusion I have come to is yes it is. However, it is not a selfishness whereby I disrespect other people's rights or beliefs, but instead it is a refusal to allow anyone else to have a controlling influence on my life or beliefs. Perhaps we all need to have a little positive selfishness in our lives.

I am not a social animal who seeks the company of people. However, I value the balance I get from working with people during the day, and I love living in a big bustling city. I know people may think I am ignoring them, but to them I say "I know you are there, but I am happy being here".

Todays shout out goes to the "loners" of the world. Consider that you lead a solitary existence because that is what you wanted and you value it. Enjoy it.

Todays shout down goes to people who think "loners" need to be cured. We'll let you know when we need your help.

"The Soloist", by Dan the VespaMan.

I am in my sanctuary,
A quiet and considered place,
No rules or demands from others,
This is where I run my race.

I've never really felt lonely,
Or insecure or shy,
But if I behaved the way I'm "supposed" to,
I would be living a lie.

Thanks Dan.

No comments:

Post a Comment