15 January 2009

The Motor is Running

We are already half way through the first month of the year and the blog I hoped to have running quite a while ago has only just now been born. I need to do some work on the creature (I call it a creature) and see how far I can take it.

I might just state now the experimentation I am pursuing with this. I adore fiddling around with things like this and feel a kind of nervous and painful urge to keep tweaking colours and layouts and such. No doubt multiple viewers (ha ha, ambitious!) will get annoyed at the lack of continuity. Allow me to indulge.

Just what sort of connection I can make with the world through my blog I am unsure, so I welcome any hello's and crave your feedback. Tell me anything you like or dislike about my blog as I adore online discussion.

I have been thinking about how I should end my posts and have decided that three things will be used. I will give a "shout out" to a person, group or organisation who's existence is/was a beacon of inspiration to the collective. I will give a "shout down" to a person, group or organisation who's existence is/was a detriment to the good of the collective. Finally, I will close with a poem or short prose which I will try to write myself unless I find something somebody else has written that sums up my feelings much better than I can. So here we go.....

Shout Out
Todays shout out goes to Nancy-Bird Walton, who recently passed away at the age of 93. I implore you to do a google search to find one of the many news articles detailing the exploits of this incredible lady. As if pursuing a career as a pilot was not difficult enough, she accomplished just that and saw the potential for aviation to not only be commercially viable, but a tool for the good of humanity (eg air ambulance). An amazing life.

Shout Down
Todays shout down goes to people who have noisy modified exhaust systems on their cars. Do you realise your car sounds like it has a flatulence problem ? I know the advertising blurb says you get 5% extra power, but who are you really kidding ?

"Nancy, you are clear for takeoff", by Dan the VespaMan.

You had the drive and foresight,
to fly in the early days,
In steeds of wood and wire,
in skies of blue and grey.

I look at the machines of today,
and of them I am in awe,
but can't help but think that it's people like you,
that have ensured we will continue to soar.

Thanks Nancy !

No comments:

Post a Comment