14 March 2010

Gleeble


I ventured on a ramble yesterday, to a place I commonly refer to as my "old stomping ground". The third of my abodes upon my arrival in Sin City was in the city-fringe suburb of Glebe. It was a pleasant reminder of pleasant days.

Post living in Redfern, I took a lease on a small apartment on Bay Street. It was expensive and of rather low quality, but as the real estate money-makers would wax lyrically, "location, location, location". Being on the city fringe, one needed only to step out the door of their building to be thrust into the heady delights of vibrancy. Sometimes indeed that vibrance had the ability to invade one's living space, and I remember being apalled at the noise of the street sweepers that operated all night long (the only time traffic would allow them to perform their duties) and the garbage truck that reversed up the small alley immediately outside my bedroom window at 11:30PM three times per week. This was a shock, but I soon accepted it as part of living in the area, and my sleep patterns syncronized with it.

The first task on my arrival yesterday was to re-acquaint myself with a culinary delight. Singapore noodles at the Hot Wokmaster on Broadway was a staple of Friday nights when I lived in the area and has never been improved upon by any other establishment I have tried so far. The HW is an unassuming place, where what must be thousands of Asian dishes are printed up on the wall for you to try. A pot of green tea is provided and in my case a complimentary bowl of soup appeared for reasons I am unsure. More refreshing than tasty, I consumed only some of it as I wished not to ruin my appetite. Hence, a steaming pile of golden noodles duly arrived. It is a curried dish with grenades of sliced chillies that are necessary during cooking but best avoided when eating lest your palate be obliterated. As delicious as always, a great way to be fed for under a tenner.

I've always enjoyed walking around the east side of Bay street. Large brick warehouses have been converted into trendy apartments and offices and it all looks fantastic. That is except for St Barnabas, a historic old church that burnt down a few years ago and still is in ruins. I remember a homeless chap who had constructed a small dwelling on the side of the church, and as he seemed to bother nobody, remained there for many a year. He was nowhere to be seen and I wondered what had become of him. With the destination of Glebe Point Road on my mind, I cut through the small one way Greek Street passing by the orange Church of Scientology. Arriving at GPR a demonstration of rhythmic martial arts was atracting a largish crowd. I've liked GPR for a while, as it is a little like Newtown but a little more upmarket and less grimy. Full of cafe's, restaurants and cool shops it continues to attract an attractive crowd. I darted into Gleebooks (hands up for more independant small book shops!) to pick out some sorely required reading material. Lately I have had a crisis of confidence on the way people treat each other, wondered if perhaps I am going the same way and I hoped to find something to give me a little burst of inspiration. I settled on a penguin book, "Crimes Against Humanity" by Geoffrey Robertson. It appeared informative, interesting and may perhaps settle my mind that all is not lost. It also cost $9.95 so having mind and belly fed for under $20 seemed to be good going.

After poking a curious nose into a few more shops, I retraced a pilgramage I used to perform. If you are a good walker, and I am, and you live in Glebe, which I did, you can enjoy the heady delights of a night in the city without worrying about expensive taxi's. The walk from Glebe through Ultimo to the city is very enjoyable and takes 20-30 minutes. Mostly residential, it is quiet with wide footpaths and traffic is not excessive. Frequently, after an evening of frivolity, I would walk home through these very streets in the dead of night, happily pickled. Not once was I ever assaulted or harrassed, which is frankly amazing. Perhaps they knew I had no money left on me, having spent it all on refreshments.

I would really like to live in the area again one day, but it is pricey. Perhaps a few extra visits will have to do for now.

6 comments:

  1. For shame, inciting my citylust when I am trapped, admittedly self-imposedly, in the paddocks of the outback. I could fall on my knees and kiss the unholy concrete and the handsome Glebeward boulevardes of my similarly ambulatory if slightly less pickled youth. I am unsure if you're refreshingly souped Hot Wok can cast a shadow on THE noodle and dumpling supplier of the region, the nearby Chinese Noodle Restaurant. Still, clannish loyalties will abide. Pleased to hear that 'Crimes Against Humanity' will go some way to assuaging your fears for humanity's collective suffering. I wonder if it contains a chapter of Leonardo DiCaprio?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that very visual stroll down streets I have never touched with my own feet. Love the feel of visiting a place that once used to consume daily activities. Walking is always the best way to enjoy any city or country neighborhood. The free bowl of soup was a "welcome home" from the universe. Glad the day was enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mitzi... I should have prefaced my post adequately. I feel homesick for Glebe and I am only a short ride on the Vespa away from it, so I can only imagine your Glebires (Glebe-desires... urgh horrible attempt at a new word).

    Gropius... and it was only a short visit too. There are all sorts of other terribly interesting things in that very locale I didn't mention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Glebires for the boxing class at the PCYC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Glebe - Badde Manors was where i first met Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mitzi... Sorry but the only cure for Glebires is in Glebe. Anything else I would suggest would be merely a Glecebo.

    nursemyra... Oh it's such an easy place to love. Perfect cafe's for quiet people like me to sit, read and drink good coffee.

    ReplyDelete