17 November 2009

The Beautiful Shades of Grey


A little while ago I watched the screenplay adapted from Frank Miller's graphic novels "Sin City". It got me to thinking about the use of black and white imagery and how much I enjoy pictures that use it effectively. I also was curious about the use of limited splashes of colour in the imagery.

Attached is a picture I zapped up tonight. Tools used were a 5 year old Kodak digital camera set for a closeup, Picasa for image manipulation, and a willing model who worked for no pay (yours truly) so as you can see a limited budget was in place for the project. Twenty images were taken with this one selected. It took about 10 minutes from click to "that'll do". I chose the eye and eyebrows as the subject because I find them the most interesting (windows to the soul and all that stuff, right?) and it's actually a little unnerving looking at it now. The furrowed brow indicating the scepticism and cynicism, the disorganised hairs of the eyebrow a reflection of the mind behind it, the slightly drooping eyelid betraying my laziness, while the cooling blue of the iris gives a sense of control to all this negativity. Anyway, I'm sure this is not an original project but I shall call the image "Blue Mine Eye". Criticisms gladly accepted in the spirit they are offered.

But, back to the issue of proper black and white imagery. Take for instance just about any of the black and white photo's of James Dean cityscapes (a favourite can be found here). They ooze cool and sophistication from every pixel (digital photo ofcourse). Not only the main character but the gritty scenery that surrounds him. The shadows and reflections sizzle and melt like thick molasses. I'm not sure if I want to be like James Dean or replace him in those scenes.

Envy, pure envy.

8 comments:

  1. Excellent piercing gaze vectors! Perhaps 'Blue Eye Mined' could could a more Midnight Oilsy reference? Just don't get Nurse Myra all excited and start planning a series of body parts photography.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Body Part photography! Read my mind, hands are next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, can't risk crashing the blogger servers as thousands of lust filled blogosphere denizens rush to view me arched on a couch in nothing but boxers with a rose between my teeth... oh brother, this is what happens after a day spent in a boring office. The little fantasy gremlin in my head has to have his silly half hour. I'll feel better in a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou nursemyra.

    I was happy the way it turned out and as mentioned in a previous comment, hands will be the next little project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like simple stylised black and white sketches - of the book illustration variety, not the cartoon sort. I like, to a lesser extent, old black and white movie imagery. I think this means that my favouritest illustration art ever must have come from some point in between 1900 and 1950.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I wonder if that may be because television hadn't come onto the scene yet? Sure there was the cinema, but no mass media for consumption in the home except print and radio.

    Some of the illustrations in Sherlock Holmes publications are very pleasing. Great depictions of old London with its grime and gloom.

    I wish I could draw, but I'm afraid when it comes to this artform I have more chance of stabbing myself with the pen than drawing anything decent.

    ReplyDelete