10 November 2009

The Devil's Work for Idle Hands - iMacsturbation


I may have rambled in a previous post (find one which is rambless, and I'll give you a prize) about being a geek and totally out of touch with all that is fashionable and valued by real people. I may have also mentioned that it is an impossibility for me to step foot inside the Apple store on George Street here in Sydney and not drool like a mental patient at the goodies therein. Very embarrassing, but I guess we each have our weaknesses.

So it was that recently I have had to declare those loveable bastards at Apple a pack of swines, as they revealed a line up of new iMacs that seemed to be specifically designed to turn the screws on my junky like tendancies for this sort of thing. They are beautiful things, designed to work as good as they look. For 1600 knicker they are pretty well priced. The problem is, I don't actually need one. I have a perfectly functional PC that although it's a little old does the job with aplomb and does everything I need it to do. But I want one.... badly.

Whenever I look into potential purchases such as these I have a tendancy to do my homework rather well. The first issue that strikes me is the financial outlay that would be required. Through a staggering example of bad planning, my father is not the Sultan of Brunei or some other such person of equal wealth. This has meant the 1600 clams required for said purchase would need to be sourced from my personal income. Unfortunately, as that is limited and has many other strains imposed upon it, some economic juggling at master accountancy levels would certainly be required. When I consider that my Doc Martins are just about worn through the sole, my jeans are developing a "distressed" look that is genuine, and my vacuum cleaner is just about to explode, you can see why I have doubts about this being a wise decision.

Secondly, the purchase would go against a plan I was developing. You will shake your head in disbelief when I mention that in order to force myself to limit time in front of the computer, I replaced an old chair with a stool for sitting on. The idea was that it would become uncomfortable after 10-15 minutes and force me to walk away for a while. It actually worked too and I hate that stool with a passion. If I get a new iMac, I won't want to have to put up with that and the bad old habits return.

Thirdly, and probably most important... Dan get a life ! Yeah, go on say it, I know anyone reading this is thinking it.

I guess spending money and time on things that one doesn't need is not uncommon. I just seem to really enjoy wasting time on silly things I guess.

4 comments:

  1. As I am betwen incomes, I can supply many handy hints for restricting purchase-power. Most of them involve inviting one's self over to friends for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very clever tactic. To add to my possible "necessary" purchases coming up, several of the buttons on my microwave do not function anymore, only 1 2 4 & 5. If I have to microwave something for 9 minutes I have to set it for 5 minutes and when that finishes for another 4 minutes. As you can see, survival is at stake here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A microwave that dies slowly? Lucky you. I've had two that just stopped heating. No warning, just stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh but I think that it's slow degradation is worse. It's teasing me, laughing at my attempts to heat food for any time that doesn't have a 1 2 4 or 5 as a number. Hunger doesn't allow for rational thought in these circumstances.

    ReplyDelete