21 November 2009

Cheese Is My Favourite Fruit


What? Hold on there Dan, what on earth are you talking about?

Taking a few steps back, it is probably prudent to explain my gastronomic "weakness", which I incorrectly call a weakness because it is actually something I'm pleased to have. We all have certain foods in our lives that hold a special place and transcend the role of simply providing nutritional fuel. There is something else going on, something almost indescribable and illogical, but obviously very important. For many it is chocolate, seafood, or something else that sparks the culinary senses.

For me it is - cheese.

Now, let me try to explain what I mean by the title of this post, as many people would want to point out my error (uhm, if they read this blog ofcourse). When you bite into a piece of quality fruit, there is the sensation of what I refer to as the "burst", a pop of the skin that releases the juice and flavour. Cheese, in my opinion has a similar characteristic. Placed on the tongue, it sits inanimate. But as soon as the molars begin their crush, the tongue begins to explore the texture and confront the flavour, the "burst" ignites.

The other day, I indulged in some aged New Zealand cheddar. A dense, crumbly textured cheese, it had a burst that I could feel in my spine, and gave me a pleasant headache which lasted about two seconds (I'm guessing this was the pleasure chemicals being released from my brain). I had no choice but to express my delight with a rapturous "mmmmm". I ate a few pieces, and the amazing thing is that each piece was better than the last. I think my tastebuds adjusted their sensitivities to take best advantage and the suspense leading up to the next piece was wonderfully fulfilled. This was living in the moment, attention being placed on doing nothing but enjoying deliciousness and the buzz of what I presume must be dopamine lovingly injected into my bloodstream by my brain.

There's no doubt that an excessive amount of cheese is no good for anyone, and I actually have excellent skills to ensure I don't over-indulge. Actually, I think it is good to self-deny to an extent as it seems to intensify the experience, it makes it special and heightens the enjoyment. There is also the side benefit that cheese actually does have many nutritional qualities.

A food that is good for you and delicious = Joy!

3 comments:

  1. What happened to my comment? I felt sure I talked ad nauseum about fromage, but it could have been in person: I think we needs must get together (I will show up this time) for a cheese board, bread and riesling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nursemyra... yes indeed, love a bit of brie. An understandable weakness. Although I have heard the only way to beat a temptation is to succumb to it.

    Mitzi... A gouda idea. My ignorance is embarrassing, but where does one go to indulge in such fromaginations in this fair city? You must understand that you would risk witnessing the peculiarities of a person who cannot but help emit a "mmmmmmm" of delight during and after each morsel. It can't be helped or controlled.

    ReplyDelete